Saturday, May 12, 2012

A journey to FreeBSD

I thought to write about FreeBSD even though this blog covers mostly about Linux.
I started using FreeBSD a year ago. When I first tried it, I was way too confused and was feeling like getting a tea(FreeBSD) when you are addicted to coffee(Linux).

Then, I got to read FreeBSD handbook. I read everything right from beginning to end. Then, I printed the whole FreeBSD handbook and started playing with FreeBSD on a real system. After this, everything changed. I started to love FreeBSD much than any other operating system.

I recommend everyone reading this to try FreeBSD even if you uncomfortable with Linux. If you are really uncomfortable with CLI, try using PC-BSD (PC-BSD is to FreeBSD as Ubuntu is to Debian).

FreeBSD cannot be called Unix due to legal reasons but I don't think anyone will sue you when you are thinking that it is really a Unix system.

Try installing FreeBSD on VirtualBox or similar platforms to make sure you don't mess with your valuable data.

You should also stop thinking that FreeBSD runs Linux applications directly. They are different. There is a Linux Binary Compatibility for FreeBSD to run Linux applications which is not a sort of platform virtualization. So, performance is pretty realistic and matching with that of Linux.

Another thing I like about FreeBSD is 'lagg'. This allows you to combine two or more network connections for failover protection or load balancing. Linux too has 'bonding' but I find 'lagg' easier to use.

The last thing worth mentioning is pfSense which, in my view, is the most easiest and effective firewall distribution. The web interface pretty rocks. And, the best part of pfSense is that it is based on FreeBSD.

Some Useful Links:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
http://www.pcbsd.org/
http://pfsense.org/

0 comments:

Post a Comment